apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: More migration of code from httpd to apr-util
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:58:07 GMT
On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 02:54:43PM +0200, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> what i have been hinting at, and planning, is that i will actually
> provide, with the TNG architecture, is the FULL \\servername\\PIPE\pipename
> functionality.  yes, that's right: i will write code that redirects
> to TNG, which will farm out the data over SMB over to a remote
> system FOR you.
>
> that's right: a unix apr application will be able to connect to
> a *remote* NT apr server.  that's *remote* platform independence,
> not just local platform independence.
>
> and if you don't expose the full pipe-name in the APR api, i can't
> do that.

Heh, you attempted to answer my previous question before I asked it.
Teaches me to read all of your posts before replying to any of them.

But, aren't named pipes typically local-only?  Maybe what you need is
something outside of traditional named pipes (i.e. "remote" named
pipes).  Add the named pipe code and then add a "special" function in
apr that allows you to get at the full namespace, if so desired.  But,
it seems that this "remote" named pipe would only be available with an
SMB library - which is TNG's domain, not APR's.

I guess I'm unsure whether named pipes will work from other machines on
other platforms.  If this works only with Win32 (or having an SMB
protocol to handle this on the Unix end), this seems something that TNG
could add outside of the apr space.  -- justin