apr-dev mailing list archives

From Elrond <elr...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: [RFC] Network Abstraction Layer - redux
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:51:53 GMT
On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 01:35:18AM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> I need to catch up on the other messages in this thread

Yes, please do!

The last message I posted on this thread contains even some
important info for apr_socket_t (which gets near the NAL,
but not as far). I even pointed out some problems in
apr_socket_t.
I haven't gotten a response to this posting till now (I'm
not on the list!)

> so I conceed you may be right,

>From a performance point of view, filters are probably the
right way to do this.

We (the Samba TNG people) asked for NAL, because we
currently don't need performance but _extremely clean_
design and abstraction.

> but one thing I -think- this proposal helps us avoid is
> replicating a lot of code in the core_filters (in and
> out) just to access a different network i/o primitive.
> Mucking with the core filters seems a clunky way to do
> what the NAL does.

Cool... so someone sees a use outside our goals! :)

> Bill

[...]

    Elrond