apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: More migration of code from httpd to apr-util
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:04:10 GMT
On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 12:38:23AM +0200, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 08:30:23AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > BTW, APR already has named pipes.  Just what are we trying to solve here?

We only have them implemented for Unix. OS/2 returns an ENOTIMPL and Windows
simply doesn't have an implementation for it.

> i looked at the named pipe code: i believe that you are thinking
> of 'unix' named pipes, which are a totally diffrerent beast
> from nt named pipes.

Right. I don't recall all the bits about creating named pipes in Windows,
but it may be feasible to use the "filename" in the
apr_file_namedpipe_create function for the host/name of the pipe in NT. In
other words, it may be a simple matter of writing the function for Windows.
But then again, the function params may not be rich enough for what is
needed.

> - a means to set up a server and have other programs (not
> remote programs) connect to and communicate with that server.
>
> the semantics must be identical to those of unix-domain-sockets,
> namely a listen, bind, accept, read, write and close.

I would think you could use named pipes, TCP sockets, or Unix sockets.

If the server spawns the programs, then you can also use regular pipes.

> - a means to transfer security context between
> the server and the 'other programs'.  i.e. if the
> client program is running as 'foo', then it must be
> possible for the server to be 'told' this - _if_ it
> needs to know.

I do not believe there is a way in any OS to say what *program* you are
running (in an authenticated fashion). Reading man pages, it appears Linux
2.2 added a way to send another process the PID, UID, and GID. But that
would obviously be non-portable.

Cheers,
-g

--