apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: SMS stuff
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2001 13:35:14 GMT
> > Point out that requirement, and you can change a lot of minds here. But
> > until then, I think you'll continue to see confused/concerned people, not
> > understanding why you are suggesting we toss all of the memory management
> in
> > APR in favor of SMS.

uh, sorry to have to point this out like this, but your understanding
of the original plan for SMS usage is plain wrong.

i have no idea what makes you think that anyone is suggesting that
all mman in APR is 'tossed' in favour of sms, and if anyone
else recommends it i will bitch at them persistently until they give
a decent justification, or give up. :)

_one_ of the suggestions was to create functions in sms that
are identical to those of pools except with different names and
different types.  _one_ [then you add into apr_compat.h
#defines to move them to the new types]

you don't have to take or do that suggestion, esp. as this is
an easy-does-it approach.

please, like david did, if you don't like or don't understand
the explanations, please read the code.  it's really short,
it's really simple - and it's short and simple _because_ we
[collectively - all of us] have enough experience to realise
that anything else will cause us to have nightmares until the
code's ripped out and burnt.  ritually.

:)

luke