apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: apr-util, crypto and openssl
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:10:53 GMT
> Well, I'm already questioning the whole MD4 thing. I can see that Samba
> needs it, but who else? I'm not entirely sure why we put that into APRUTIL
> because I'm not sure who *else* might want to have it there.
>
> Can anybody name one or two other apps that use MD4?

rsync.  librsync.

> > PS. I do have a crc32 patch laying about (isn't in openssl
> >     or apr(-util) and it is pretty generic. I think it has
> >     some use in projects other than ours, but I'm not sure).
> >     Interested?
>
> I haven't seen a need for it, so no. I'd prefer to at least have some
> *requirements* for stuff like this. And preferably from more than one
> application.

rsync uses crc.  well, actually, it uses a rolling crc - a
... oh, bugger, what's it called... adler!  adler32.

[sander and i] have some plans to do an advanced librsync:
there are improvements that can be made to the rsync algorithm.
and the codebase we'd like to use to do it is, surprise-surprise:
apr.

luke