apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/threadproc/unix thread.c
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:35:43 GMT
On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 01:19:27AM +0100, David Reid wrote:
> This isn't possible with pools.  They limit you to a single way of getting
> at your memory regardless of how it was obtained.

What I basically said in my email to David was that I could see having a
pool take in an option as to which SMS it should use.  I've said this
before a few weeks ago (probably when I first looked at the SMS code),
but let me reiterate that suggestion.  Obviously, there would be a
default SMS that would be used, if one isn't provided when the pool is
created.

I think that this allows the SMS code to be kept simple, while the pool
code can be kept relatively similar to what it does now.

IMHO, using APR without something that implements cleanup routines (like
what the pool does now) is going to be troublesome to implement without
rearchitecting the guts of APR.

I'll shut up for a while on this.  -- justin