apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/build apr_hints.m4
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2001 20:41:51 GMT
On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 11:10:43AM -0400, Victor J. Orlikowski wrote:
>  > These have to do with glibc version, not kernel version...  Maybe it
>  > will work fine, but it doesn't help anybody to understand why it is
>  > there.
>
> Agreed. However, my logic was that these flags would only be useful in
> kernel versions that supported threading, which implies 2.0 and later.

No. I was using threads well before 2.0 came out. Threading libraries *do*
exist.

> So, the right thing to do, then, is have a test based on glibc version
> in apr_hints.m4, which applies these flags whenever they are appropriate.

No. apr_hints is a last resort. Actual tests like the AC_TRY_COMPILE() that
Justin did are the right way to do it. We should always try to avoid
hard-coding conditions to the host/library/whatever and *test* for them
instead.

autoconf was written to use the testing approach, rather than the "know
everything about all platforms" approach that Apache 1.3 used. apr_hints is
left over from the 1.3 days; ideally, we would find tests that would remove
every single one of those hints.

Cheers,
-g

--