apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject mmap buckets are a bit bogus
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2001 19:04:41 GMT
LARGEFILE support errors threw me into win32's mmap code.  This got me looking
at the mmap bucket support.  I'll accept we should never be dumping 4+GB out the
socket, but it opened my eyes to this quandry.

What ARE the offset and size arguments?  If the mmap_create call sets aside a
maximum 'window' into the file, and mmap_offset merely adjusts the offset, then
I argue mmap_offset is worthless.  IF, otoh, mmap_offset allows us change the
'viewport' offset, then we need to know what the size of that viewport became.

It's a goofy semantic altogether.  Either mmap_offset grows a size, or goes away.
It doesn't matter to me if its a size that the user specifies, or only a return
value for the size of the available window.

Bill

p.s. I'm offline for a day and a half, if you find problems with the largefile
stuff, sendfile, read, write or seek changes, please feel free to fix them and
I'll review after they are committed.