apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [RFC] Network Abstraction Layer - redux
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:36:53 GMT
From: "Bill Stoddard" <bill@wstoddard.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 8:59 AM

> Spent a bit of time reviewing the thread and I still think the Samba team proposal looks
> very worthwhile (and it scratches a couple of itches for me :-). The NAL enables an
> architecturally clean solution to a whole class of problems. +1 on implementing against
> the API posted by Sander. I expect we will tweak things as we begin to use the API but
it
> is an excellent start. And I agree with the concensus that we not commit code untill
after
> Apache 2.0 is released.

You misssed it :-)  Commit code to apr.  That's not the issue.

Until we can prove an overwhelming requirement, and begin Apache 2.1 tree developement,
simply _don't__use__the__code__in__httpd_.  That's all I'm asking.  If this is a useful
library, we will introduce things.

Perhaps we need to keep in STATUS a list of 'release' features, 'beta' features, and
'under development-experimental' features.  So parts of apr and apr-util can evolve, but
avoid pi$$ing people off that we keep 'breaking' it.

Just a suggestion, any comments?

Bill