apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: More migration of code from httpd to apr-util
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:15:10 GMT
> > > Which is also a requirement.  When we call namedpipe_create, we have to RETURN
> > > SOMETHING!

Maybe not... What if we open a namedpipe in Windows in bidirectional mode. Then we call
CreateFile(pipename,...) for mode read and CreateFile(pipename, ...) for write mode. Not
tested but it might work.

> > > handle.)  Every (NT/2000) machine could Create or Connect to get that pipe
handle.
> > > But once that pipe  handle is closed, the pipe evaporates, they are not persistant.
> >
> > Not to be contrary, but can't we handle this by registering a cleanup with
> > the handle?  That way, the handle survives until we specifically clean it
> > up, and we shouldn't have to change the API much.  Not saying this is the
> > right way to go, I am just offering suggestions.
>
> No, I don't think it's the right way.  I'd expect that we add a placeholder of
> apr_namedpipe_t that contains the name of the pipe on Unix (and nothing more),
> or the pipe name and handle on Win32.  Opaque, of course.

If the above works, then passing in an "open named pipe" flag on the apr_file_open() would
enable APR to prepend the file://pipe/ stuff

Bill