apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: More migration of code from httpd to apr-util
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:50:03 GMT
From: "Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton" <lkcl@samba-tng.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 8:55 AM

> > You miss my point.  We at _least_ need to return a "Windows Acceptable Pipe Name",
instead
> > of some /PIPE/pluming style name.
>
> it is *important* that NT-style conventions are followed.

... internally

> the 'guiding light' *must* be the NT functions.

No, the 'internal light' must be the platform-appropriate function.

> i know that most of you may find this difficult to accept that
> microsoft may be able to develop an API that's really useful,
> and may feel 'tempted' to 'do better' by imposing 'unixy
> style' conventions.
>
> please don't.

We aren't.  And you sir, are presuming that NT is the only 'obscure' platform
out there.  It isn't.

I'm suggesting that we pass a pipe name to create/locate a pipe.  No hokey pathing,
simply a pipe name that will be normalized \\.\PIPE\name or /dev/pipe/apr/name (or
however it ought to be named on win32.)  And return an opaque structure that the
platform may us to open handles on that pipe using an apr_filepipe_open() call.

> you may be used to doing this the other way round: making NT do
> what unix does.

We aren't, we all agree that lcd coding is required on apr, and we offer extensions
where they are needed.

Heck, why could even accept unix "/dev/pipe/name" as a pipe, but it would be morphed
into "\\.\PIPE\dev_pipe_name" in order to serve the data.

> and if that means creating files like /tmp/.apr-socket/\PIPE\samr with
> backslashes in them and i _know_ this _is_ possible to do on unix,
> and i _know_ that there are no problems with doing so because winbindd
> does it [i have a directory /home/DOMAIN\administrator on my linux
> hard disk and even an entry in /etc/passwd to match it] then so be it.

Why not simply a pipe name, and leave pathing to apr?  Justification?

Bill