apr-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Gross <ChristianGr...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: apr_memory_system.c;apr_memory_system.h
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 15:51:39 GMT
>in other words, it's up to the user of the memory to do this:
>it's implementation specific.
>
>but you are right: novice programmers should be Warned :)

Ok so now here is my point.  Why attempt to treat the two memory
systems as one when they are two different kettle of fish.  Especially
since a novice developer may be very confused by all of this.

I tend to think to make this shared memory stuff work it should be
treated as in-memory database minus the indexing and complex searching
abilities.  If you surf to the website http://www.ispras.ru/~knizhnik/
you will see some databases called gigabase, fastdb, post++, Goods,
etc.  What I like regarding his work is that it is very interesting
from a shared memory point of view.  He  knows how to deal with
inmemory C++ objects, pointer offsets and their serialization.  It is
C++, but I think it could be applied in C.  And the best part of his
sources are that a novice could use them without major issues.

Christian Gross