apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Moving stuff from server/util_* into apr-util?
Date Thu, 17 May 2001 20:09:57 GMT
On Thu, 17 May 2001, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2001 at 10:17:45AM -0700, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> > i think the only reason it hasn't been done is because it will be somewhat
> > painful.  maybe it would be worthwhile to first come up with a list of
> > canidate functions/structures to move from httpd to apr-util.
>
> Here are the three files that I definitely believe should be moved:
> util_date.c (don't know what dir this would belong in)
> util_uri.c (uri_delims.h, gen_uri_delims.c, etc. go into apr-util/uri)
> util_md5.c (sha is already in apr-util/crypto)
>
> I'm not sure about (bits and pieces, perhaps):
> util.c
> util_ebcdic.c
> util_cfgtree.c
> util_debug.c
>
> I definitely know that these can't be moved (and should probably be
> renamed perhaps):
> util_filter.c
> util_script.c
> util_xml.c
>
> What do you think?
>
> I think the best way to do this is one file at a time.  Add it into
> apr-util, switch the symbols in all affected files (perl or
> apu_compat.h?), then remove the old version in httpd-2.0.  And, you are
> right, this certainly won't be pretty.
>
> Roy said he might have time to do this, but I'm not so sure about
> that.  =)
>
> The problem is that I really don't know how to submit patches for this.
> I can submit files that will go into apr-util, but this may be better
> off for someone with commit access to just sit down for a few hours and
> get this right.  This just touches so many files - sending so many
> patches (what I would have to do) gets burdensome and confusing.  But, I
> can do that if no one with commit access has the time.

If we are going to do this, then any function in these files can't refer
to request_rec's.  Please submit the files to the list, one at a time.  I
can commit them for you, and then we can begin to migrate the Apache calls
from the current files to the new ones.  Once the Apache calls are
migrated, we can remove the old files.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131