apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject APR shared memory requirements.
Date Tue, 01 May 2001 15:49:43 GMT

Most people have realized that APR's shared memory support isn't good
enough to support Apache, or in reality most other applications.  We had
this discussion during the hack-a-thon, and we came up with a small list
of requirements for APR's new shared memory implementation.  Here are the
notes:

1)  malloc-like implementation
2)  Anonymous and Key based shared memory support
3)  Def-ref macros (these must use double indirection)
4)  Reference counting
5)  Cleanups that use the pool implementation

That's it.  In reality, even our current API isn't good enough to do what
we need, so people who wish to implement should feel free to re-implement
the API.  As the first note in this list says, it should look a lot like
malloc() if at all possible.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131