apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Sander Striker" <stri...@samba-tng.org>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apr-util/dbm/sdbm sdbm.c
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 19:33:14 GMT
[...]
>> Well, samba uses it pretty heaviliy. I don't know about the limited
>> portability, could you expand on this? (is it limited to *nix or do you
>> refer to something else?)
>
> Strictly non-unixes, AFAIK.  If I lock bytes 40-44 on a Win32
> file on a network share or under win9x, I'm locking bytes 0-4095.
> It's not really good about byte ranges, except perhaps on the local NT
> volume between processes.

Ok, but you wouldn't want your db to reside on a network drive anyway,
would you (this sucks the life right out of performance)?

Also, locally there should be no 4k block size locking issues. If you
read http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/winbase/filesio_63xh.htm
and http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/winbase/filesio_39h4.htm
you see that there is nothing mentioned about it (this doesn't actually
mean anything, I know :^P ).
LockFile() is available on W95+ and NT3.1+, LockFileEx() on NT3.1+.

Sander