apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: Catch 22
Date Wed, 30 May 2001 11:20:19 GMT
On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 11:32:46AM +0100, David Reid wrote:

> I've been pondering the dynamic loading stuff for memory and had a few
> discussions off list about it, but one thing keeps hitting me.
>
> We really want to use the APR dynamic loading as it covers all the platforms
> we need quite nicely, but that uses pools, which so far we haven't had any
> involvement with in the memory code, which is IMHO the right thing to do!

so.

the required coding order [independence] is:

dynamic loading
sms
pools

the current _implementation_ order is:

dynamic loading -> pools
pools -> direct memory access
sms -> direct memory access

the future implementation order should be:

dynamic loading -> ??? a static, non-dynamic pool-based memory-thing?
pools -> sms
sms -> direct memory access

there is nothing to stop you having the 'default' sms structure
from always being there, such that code that performs
initialisation, pre-dynamic-loading blah blah all still works
and you don't have to change any existing code.

what you think?

luke