apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: More migrations from httpd to apr-util and md5 in apr
Date Thu, 24 May 2001 08:06:51 GMT
On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 04:54:23PM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> Thanks.  Okay, I'll take a pass at date migration over the long weekend
> (misc is fine) unless someone says not to between now and Friday.  I'll
> take a look at the mod_dav_fs dates - I'll see how compatible it is with
> what I had for mod_mbox.  I may try and merge them, or if it is too
> different, I'll commit what I had for mod_mbox and you can then look at
> the mod_dav_fs stuff and decide what to do.

Oh, it is simply two ways to format a date/time into a buffer. I haven't
even looked lately to see if a similar function is now available in the
Apache code. It seems like I remember somebody adding some new date
formatting functions a while back.

> I might get around to the md5 stuff,

Cool. I've always planned to do it, too, but just haven't got there yet...

> but that may require also yanking out
> uuid into apr-util as well.

No can do. The UUID stuff is in APR because we use a Win32 specific function
on that platform. Thus, it belongs in APR. It is even possible that some
platforms may want to improve what kind of info they grab for their random
seed (i.e. on Unix, we use pid, time, hostname; BeOS or OS/2 or whatever may
have more data they want to use). Heck, somebody may want to use the
Ethernet MAC address, like the UUID specification states.

> As you said, that's not a bad idea -
> hopefully, it isn't used anywhere within APR itself.  I'll see if I have
> enough time to do this right this weekend.  Baby steps - I want to break
> as little as possible at each step.

The smallest step would be to use a hash function over the UUID seed data,
rather than MD5.

> If I eventually see a PRNG that I like (suitable license, of course),
> I'll include it in APR.  Only use it when /dev/random et al aren't
> defined - does that sound reasonable?

You bet!

> I'll post appropriate patches to new-httpd to migrate their calls, but
> it'll need someone with commit access on that end to check those in.

Not a problem there. That is relatively straight-forward, once the
functionality "appears" within APR(UTIL).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/