apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: apr_xml (was: Re: libaprutil.la, libexpat.la, APRUTIL_EXPORT_LIBS)
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 11:46:08 GMT
it may be better to consider getting the ODBC project
up to 2.0 compliance, and/or consuming / adopting it
as an apache project, if it's considered _that_ important.

basically, what you will be doing is writing another ODBC.

ODBC is extremely poorly supported on unix.

btw i investigated ODBC / MS-SQL native on unix:
it will involve writing a DCE/RPC API, by reverse-engineering
network traffic, examining the SQL function API etc,
shouldn't be too hard.  estimated time to completion:
approx 6 man-months, full time.

luke

p.s. it would be easier to use XML - see
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyxsqmll
(i'm assuming i can spell that stupid name :)

implementing this in c as an ODBC driver, especially
as a large number of the ODBC-ODBC bridges use
XML for the ODBC-client-on-unix -> ODBC-server-shim-thing-to-ODBC-on-win32
communication, should be trivial.

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 12:19:28AM +0100, David Reid wrote:
> Seems like a good idea.  Did we ever do anything about defining/writing code
> for a common apr interface to databases.  I'd think MySQL and Postgresql
> would make the most sense, but we should probably try and get people who
> develop using Oracle and MS SQL server involved...  I know it's been
> discussed, just wondering how we're doing :)
>
> BTW, I'm off on holiday on Sunday for a week and will be totally out of
> touch all week.

have fun!