apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [lists@rowe-clan.net: Re: CVS rename?]
Date Sun, 13 May 2001 23:44:19 GMT
> ----- Forwarded message from "William A. Rowe, Jr." <lists@rowe-clan.net> -----
> > On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 01:21:54PM +0100, David Reid wrote:
> > > Can someone who knows tell me how to "correctly" rename the memory files in
> > > CVS?
> > >
> > > That's why I haven't done it yet... :)
> >
> > We haven't done a release yet and we don't need the history of the files in
> > their old locations. Just go into /home/cvs/... on dev.apache.org and 'mv'
> > the files.
> >
> > Special precautions are only needed if we want to preserve history (in the
> > old location) and/or we have tagged the files under their old names.
>
> This is _wrong_.
>
> As soon as one other person checks out a tree, you danged well better drop it in
> the attic for their benefit.  Otherwise, there is little wonder why two folks might
> be building just fine, and everyone else later can't build.
>
> You and that other person won't have your trees pruned, but the rest of the world
> will.  That's not appropriate.

Huh?! If a *file* is moved in the repository, then the client properly
handles it (with a comment noting the file is no longer in the rep.).
Problems only occur when you move *directories*.

We've moved files before, and I haven't heard of a problem. When we moved
directories: yes, there were big problems.

It is safe to move a file. That is all we're talking about.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/