apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject [lists@rowe-clan.net: Re: CVS rename?]
Date Sun, 13 May 2001 23:33:45 GMT
----- Forwarded message from "William A. Rowe, Jr." <lists@rowe-clan.net> -----

From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <lists@rowe-clan.net>
Subject: Re: CVS rename?
To: "Greg Stein" <gstein@lyra.org>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 17:28:03 -0500

From: "Greg Stein" <gstein@lyra.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2001 4:07 PM

> On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 01:21:54PM +0100, David Reid wrote:
> > Can someone who knows tell me how to "correctly" rename the memory files in
> > CVS?
> >
> > That's why I haven't done it yet... :)
>
> We haven't done a release yet and we don't need the history of the files in
> their old locations. Just go into /home/cvs/... on dev.apache.org and 'mv'
> the files.
>
> Special precautions are only needed if we want to preserve history (in the
> old location) and/or we have tagged the files under their old names.

This is _wrong_.

As soon as one other person checks out a tree, you danged well better drop it in
the attic for their benefit.  Otherwise, there is little wonder why two folks might
be building just fine, and everyone else later can't build.

You and that other person won't have your trees pruned, but the rest of the world
will.  That's not appropriate.

Greg's right that we don't need the tags [there are none], so I'd argue that after
a week or so its more safe to blast them from the attic, but does anyone here have
a long list of trees they only update every month or so?  Thought so.

Look, always delete things properly unless you are in a true sandbox repository,
once it's in the public cvs, it's our respsonsibility to clean up our droppings
when things go stale.

Bill

----- End forwarded message -----

--