apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Memory Renaming (try 2)
Date Sun, 13 May 2001 10:26:43 GMT
On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 09:51:37AM +0200, Sander Striker wrote:
> Heh heh, "at 01:03:31AM +0200" :-)
> Let me see if I get your remark... I hope you imply that the only
> thought goal was replacing the current apr_pool usage (which is
> almost everywhere) with apr_sms.

Huh? We aren't replacing pools with the sms stuff.

> I thought that pool usage was mandatory and that malloc/free should
> never be called directly in apr (except within apr_pool, and now
> in apr_sms).

Yes, pools are mandatory. We make particular exceptions in a few cases. For
those, we always register a cleanup with a pool to do the free(), so
effectively, they are "ensured" to go away.

> Exactly! For starters you won't need to convert the apr_pool code.
> Just write the apr_sms_pool first and use it in parallel. When all
> original pool usage is removed, the code can be dropped aswell. But this

Huh? I don't see us replacing the pool usage at all. Not migration either.

I thought the intent was to use this stuff to help out with shared memory?
That doesn't equal replacing the pool concept.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/