apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: Memory code...
Date Fri, 11 May 2001 11:22:46 GMT
> I've never bought the argument that you should return an error when
> things are clearly screwed - no program is going to unscrew them, and
> carrying on running a program that has damaged its data (or has logic
> errors) is just plain foolish. There may be some mileage in the idea
> that you should die in a way that permits cleanup, but even that is
> pretty risky.

the only risk you take is if you start writing stuff out-to-disk
and die half way through.  oh, _whoops_ you didn't really
need _all_ of that file, did you?  aaph, pffh :)

other than those circumstances, yes: to die and stay that way
is better.

[btw someone mentioned on  advogato that they had come up with
a way to treat 'all' memory as shared memory.  in this way,
when a program causes an exception, it is theoretically possible
to retrieve your data from the terminated program...  ohhh, yuk!]