apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: APR shared memory requirements.
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 21:08:42 GMT
> that may be the case, however when you don't enable POOL_DEBUG,
> it doesn't _do_ anything!  the guarantees, esp. if the behaviour
> of the program is affected _by_ enabling POOL_DEBUG, are almost
> worthless.

They only do one thing -- they tell the maintainer that someone just
committed something rather clueless.  Dean (and myself when I had time)
used to compile httpd 1.3 with ALLOC_DEBUG and POOL_DEBUG on all the time
in order to catch places where modules were combining memory from multiple
pools.  It is not intended to be a run-time check for deployed systems
because that would add pointless overhead (there is no recovery path anyway).
It may not work right now in 2.0, since I recall someone monkeying with
the code because it wasn't thread-safe.

You will need the same kind of thing for stackable memory systems -- there
needs to be a way for a developer to ensure that data allocated within a
data structure is as long-lived as the data structure itself.

....Roy