apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: APR shared memory requirements.
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 11:19:29 GMT
> > p.s. please please please can apr_pool_join() be dropped? :)
>
> I don't think so! Why do you want it to be?

lots of reasons.

1) it's only enabled in debug mode

2) when i reviewed it [ 2 months ago], i think i noticed that it
has side-effects.  ... IIRC, if you compile in debug
mode, it acts as expected: merges all call-backs into the
parent pool

if you DON'T compile in debug mode, where you DO need to find
problems, then because it does nothing, you end up not detecting
them!

3) as i understand it, its description has nothing to do with what
it actually does.

4) it's only called in two places.

5) it's in the way of being able to turn apr_pool from a flat,
global-based memory system into a truly hierarchical one.

luke