apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: LIBS in apr-util
Date Mon, 07 May 2001 07:09:42 GMT
On Sun, May 06, 2001 at 02:46:44PM +0100, David Reid wrote:
> After all the work that Jeff has done on the OS/390 libtool, I've hacked it
> to death and have it running on BeOS:)  It actually allows us to build APR
> as a shared object, and should allow us to also build apr-util as a shared
> object, but the problem I have at present is that I need to pass in
> libapr.la to get the shared object to build (as all symbols have to be
> resolvable at link time, a real PITA).  While trying I noticed that the LIBS
> weren't being passed.  I'm guessing we only use them for executables?  If
> so, what is the correct place to add the link such that it'll be passed in
> to the link command?

apr-util has not yet been updated to use the same configure methods
as the other stuff.  I meant to do that last week but got sidetracked
by a customer issue that turned into a 3rd-party library issue that
turned into a "how can servlets be this f*cked-up?" issue and hence
is now a JSR issue. ;-)

It is hard to make that change without doing major rework, but feel free
to hack it if you want to -- I'll just work around it when I can.
What needs to happen is apr-util should be building apr and importing
its variables just like httpd is doing to apr now, and then httpd should
be switched to just build apr-util and import variables from apr-util
rather than apr.

....Roy