apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <li...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: APR shared memory requirements.
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 12:31:08 GMT
From: "Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton" <lkcl@samba-tng.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 5:58 AM

> the idea of providing an independent apr_memsys_join() with
> totally separate memory, totally separate semantics, that can
> cope with totally alien apr_memsys instances, thereby
> guaranteeing you destruction ordering / dependencies, seems
> like something that you clearly perceive there is a need for,
> that also keeps me happy.
>
> the same principle applies to apr_pool_join() (see other message).

Why not simply register a cleanup of one memsys for it's (newborn)
child?  I would _hope_ we are implementing cleanups in all memory
models, since this is absolutely an essential feature.

One aspect of shmem/mmap cleanups, well, we actually have two different
types of cleanups.  One is the 'destructor', the other a 'detach'.

Of course, if multiple, disparate apps share the same shmem/mmap cleanups,
it's up to them to agree on the destructor semantic.  No promises that
the 'last one out the door, turn out the lights' knows which light switch
to turn out :-)