apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Add error codes to apr_errno.h
Date Wed, 23 May 2001 19:43:32 GMT
From: "Justin Erenkrantz" <jerenkrantz@ebuilt.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 12:34 PM

> On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 06:47:16PM +0200, jean-frederic clere wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am planning to add two new error codes to apr_errno.h for apr-iconv:
> > APR_EILSEQ Illegal byte sequence
> > APR_E2BIG  Too big (It can be used also for "Arg list too long").
> >
> > Any comments? - I have already added APR_EFTYPE -
>
> Do we have a plan regarding error codes?  If a user of the API gets
> these codes back, can they do anything with it?  It sounds like
> APR_EINVAL may make more sense (they passed something bad in).  Maybe
> those codes just don't work - I'd guess I'd need to see how/where you'd
> return these values.

No, APR_EINVAL doesn't make sense for everything.  In this case, the arguments
were passed correctly.  The module was found (as opposed to APR_ENOENT), but
there was no stub that identified the modules properly.

I'd suggest that if it's an appropriate errno, it's an appropriate apr_status_t.
With the exception of obvious discrepancies (EAGAIN vs. EWOULDBLOCK) we need to
be at least modestly descriptive, even if we sometimes need new codes to do so.

> I'm in the club that thinks we've got way too many error codes in
> APR...  -- justin

Generally, agreed.