apr-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [dav-dev] FW: Case-insensitive file system moves
Date Fri, 25 May 2001 18:47:04 GMT
From: "Jeff Costlow" <j.costlow@f5.com>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 1:32 PM

> > We've encountered a problem with mod_dav that applies only to moving objects on
case-insensitive filesystems (like NT).  I'm
pretty sure this has been discussed before, but I don't recall the conclusion.

> > Try to move a file like this:
> > MOVE /file1.html HTTP/1.1
> > Host: www.foo.bar
> > Destination: http://www.foo.bar/FILE1.html
> >
> > on NT, this will result in a 403 error returned to the client, because apache is
detecting it as the same resource.

> > It would be nice if this were to succeed and actually change the name of the file.
 Ideally it would work the same when moving a
collection to a new name as well.
> > Has anyone looked into mod_dav and thought about changing the code so that if 2
resources did not strcmp, but were the same
resource (according to apache), a rename would actually take place?

That can be done more easily in the upcoming version.

Not every win32 filesystem accepts ren foo FOO, so some of the logic needs to
reside somewhere (Apache 2.0's APR) so the rename can proceed foo -> rand -> FOO.

Good food for thought for the APR list, thanks :-)

Bill