apr-dev mailing list archives

From "David Reid" <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>
Subject Shared memory
Date Wed, 30 May 2001 11:52:14 GMT
We've had a fair bit of discussion, but I don't think we ever got to a
decision did we?  From what I remember...

1. we like the basic malloc/calloc/realloc/free interfaces for using the
memory
2. if we ask for 1000 bytes we want 1000 bytes with any allocation for
headers being "outside" our block  This is a problem in that we never really
know how many allocations we'll make from a block and therefore how much
extra memory the structures we use to track the blocks will need.

One possible way to be to follow the example of the tracking system and have
a parent memory_system be required when creating the shared memory system,
and allocate all the structures from that.  This would preserve the shared
memory, but probably isn't an optimal solution.

So, shall we go around again ??? :)

david