apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: os-unixware/7651: compilation of srclib/apr/network_io/unix/sa_common.c fails
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2001 15:37:22 GMT

I personally like Jeff's patch, with one minor adjustment.

I would do something like the following

#ifndef HAVE_SET_H_ERRNO
#define set_h_errno(val)   h_errno = val
#endif

And then always use set_h_errno.  However, that is just my personal
preference for keeping ifdefs out of the code.  Other than that, +1 for
Jeff's patch.

Ryan

On 30 Apr 2001, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> Help me out here... I don't follow your comments.
>
> "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@covalent.net> writes:
>
> > Jeff,
> >
> >   this is the wrong solution (and it was anticipated).  Since win32 and OS2 don't
> > need the unix MPM's they were never fixed, apparently (from this
> > report) they must be.
>
> what is the connection between "unix MPM" and this code?  Do you mean
> "unix build of APR?"
>
> >   We can't go munging system symbols, see the declarations in apr_errno.h for the
> > apr_get_netos_error() (and if we need it, we could implement an apr_set_netos_error()
> > although it may not enjoy cross-platform support!)
>
> What does "munging system symbols" mean?
>
> apr_get/set_netos_error() is not sufficient.  For Unix that needs to deal
> with errno.  This is h_errno.
>
> >   Patch the apr core and mpms to adopt this call instead of h_errno and implement
your
> > solution in terms of declaring apr_get_netos_error() and the problem
> > should go away.
>
> can't do because of the errno/h_errno issue...
>
> -----------/-----------
>
> Note that this path is only used on systems with getnameinfo() and IPv6
> support.  The h_errno kludge helps out with some getnameinfo() issues
> on common versions of glibc.  Before we truly clean up this code we
> need to understand what is needed to operate with getnameinfo() across
> a variety of systems.  Hopefully the h_errno stuff can then be hidden
> inside ifdef GETNAMEINFO_SETS_H_ERRNO and any non-Unix platforms which
> later add getnameinfo() support won't be hurt by the kludge since it
> won't be set.
>
> --
> Jeff Trawick | trawickj@bellsouth.net | PGP public key at web site:
>        http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/9289/