apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: apr_threadkey
Date Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:29:09 GMT

> it is not possible to use thr_key at request time because
> apr_threadkey_private_{get,set} use apr_pool_userdata_{get,set}, rather
> than pthread_{get,set}specific.  so we have concurrent threads hitting the
> same pool, rendering the apr_threadkey_private api useless.
> i would have expected that apr_threadkey_create registers a cleanup to
> delete the key and that apr_threadkey_private_{get,set} do not touch
> the pool, but use pthread_{get,set}specific (or platform equivs)
> is it just the case that the implementation has not been completed or just
> an oversight or am i totally missing something?

TLS was never really tested or finished.  I think the general idea was
that it isn't really useful.  Since every thread has its own pool in
Apache, we can just as easily use userdata that we provide.  I believe we
should just remove the TLS code from APR personally, but I am perfectly
happy to be told why we shouldn't.  I have no really strong feelings
either way.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131