apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: thread locking within apr file io
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2001 05:03:44 GMT
On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> APR file io, when compiled with APR_HAS_THREADS (the default unless it
> is specifically disabled or on a non-thread platform), is acquiring
> mutex locks on every buffered file read or write.  That is lunacy.
> Whether or not locking is necessary must be decided by the caller,
> not by the library.  The normal behavior is for buffers to be
> thread-specific, and thus never need mutexing.
>
> BTW, the same can be said for pools -- right now it is locking all
> pool operations, even though the only ones that need locking are those
> shared by multiple threads (the global pools).  Bogus.
>
> This stuff came up while Justin and Aaron were performance testing
> mod_mbox -- right now you can double the requests per second simply
> by recompiling with --disable-threads.

Well, that's a pretty major bump.  This makes complete sense to me.  I say
let's remove the locks.  Make the application lock the code itself, which
makes a bit more sense to me.

The thread locks in the pools came from the Windows pool code, I would
love to see those locks go away ASAP.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131