apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: apr_dso_handle_close ?
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2001 22:03:11 GMT

Okay,  this issue has died down now, so it is time to bring it back up,
with a potential solution.  Doug and I have already discussed this, and he
agrees that this solves his problem.  It also solves the other problems
that have been raised on this list.

My biggest problem with passing in a void *, and using it as the dlhandle
to close, is that it won't work in error cases on some platforms.  OS/2
requires that we save the error message when the error happens, at least
that is my understanding.  This means that if there is an error, we will
need to store that string someplace.

My solution:

   two functions:
	apr_dso_make(apr_dso_handle_t **h, apr_pool_t *p);
		Allocate enough space for an apr_dso_handle_t
	apr_dso_fill(apr_dso_handle_t *h, void *plat_hand);
		Fill the handle out.

   Now, programs can safely use apr_dso_close on the resulting
apr_dso_handle_t, and we don't lose portability.  They can also
re-use the original apr_dso_handle_t until they are done closing
DSOs.  There is a large part of me that would like to see us use this
model for all of the portability code that we have.

Unless there are any arguments, I will be implementing this on some
platforms tomorrow sometime.

Ryan

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> The problem is that the code you want to implement is incompatible with
> APR's dso code.  In order to use the function that you want, you would
> need to start by using the system's dlopen.  If you are going to use the
> systems dlopen, then you should use the systems dlclose.
>
> What we really need, I guess, is apr_dso_put and apr_dso_get.  That would
> follow the model that we currently have, instead of creating another
> function that would take the system type directly.
>
> Ryan
>
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Doug MacEachern wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >

> > > How is this different from apr_dso_unload?
> >
> > apr_dso_unload() takes an apr_dso_handle_t argument, so i would have todo
> > something ugly like:
> >
> > apr_dso_handle_t dso;
> > dso.handle = (void*)handle_from_perl;
> > dso.cont = p;
> > apr_dso_unload(&dso);
> >
> > which i couldn't do if i wanted to, since apr_dso_handle_t is an
> > incomplete type.

> 406 29th St.
> San Francisco, CA 94131

406 29th St.