apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: APR threads and FreeBSD
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2001 14:57:08 GMT

Threads do not work well on FreeBSD, any version that we have tested.  We
had serious problems with threads and sendfile on FreeBSD 4.2, and some
unexplainable looping that went away when we removed the threads.  The
reason testsock fails with threads, is that sendfile is completely
unpredicatable on FreeBSD with threads.  A full description of what we saw
when enabled threads on FreeBSD can be found in the development archives
sometime in January.

Ryan

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 j_burns@hushmail.com wrote:

> Could someone please tell me why APR_HAS_THREADS is false on FreeBSD?  I
> have written pthreads based code on FreeBSD and Linux and they both seem
> to work well (I only have 1 cpu, so FreeBSDs limitation that each process
> runs on only 1 cpu at a time doesn't effect me).  When configuring with
> --enable-threads APR compiles (however the rest of Apache will not), and
> the testthread test passes just fine, but the testsock test seems to fail.
>  Without the --enable-threads APR compiles and the testsock works normally,
>  of course testthread fails in this case with the predictable message "This
> program won't work on this platform because there is no support for threads".
>
> I am currently running FreeBSD 4.2.
>
> Thanks,
> Jesse
> Free, encrypted, secure Web-based email at www.hushmail.com