apr-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Reader/writer locks?
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:20:04 GMT
On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 08:14:35AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> They are waiting for somebody to have the time to implement them.

I have a patch in my local tree to implement POSIX pthread rwlocks.

Basically adds to apr_lock.h:

typedef enum {APR_READER, APR_WRITER} apr_readerwriterlock_e;

/**
 * Lock a region with either a reader or writer lock.
 * @param lock The lock to set.
 * @param type The type of lock to acquire.
 * @deffunc apr_status_t apr_lock_acquire_rw(apr_lock_t *lock, apr_readerwriterlock_e type)
 */
APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_lock_acquire_rw(apr_lock_t *lock,
                                              apr_readerwriterlock_e type);

I am testing it now since I'm playing with threading ab.  This is a lark,
but I'm REALLY frustrated at ab right now - even if this attempt at
threading falls flat on its face, I can at least implement reader/writer
locks in APR.

Whenever I finish it, I'll clean it up and post it.  I'll try and include
the stubs for the other platforms.  -- justin