apr-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanc...@MIT.EDU>
Subject Re: apr_dso_handle_close ?
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:04:57 GMT
On Tuesday, April 17, 2001, at 08:38 PM, <rbb@covalent.net> wrote:

> I would like David Reid and Brian Havard (and maybe Fred Sanchez and
> either Bill)to sign off on the change before we make it.

   I don't think that this will make the DSO code for dyld harder to
write...  If you give me a day or two, I can verify this by implementing
DSO for dyld.  But I don't object on those grounds.

   However, I do find it bothersome to write API that close a void*
handle on a object that we didn't necessarily create; this strikes me as
a hack.  If we didn't apr_dso_open this handle, it makes no sense to me
that we should apr_dso_close it.

   I don't consider "merely exposing private functionality" to be any
sort of justification.  One we expose API, then we're stuck with it.  So
either mod_perl has to suffer though this until Perl 5.6.2 or APR has to
support this forever.  I lean towards the former.

   But I'm not an APR architect, and so I defer to Ryan/Greg/etc. as to
whether such exposure is correct and acceptable.

View raw message