apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Problem with apr-util/xml/expat
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:38:53 GMT
Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 08:35:19AM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> > Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes:
> >
> > > Fixed.
> >
> > What got fixed (Thanks!) is that once we decide to make in the lib
> > directory we don't blow up with the non-portable dependency
> > generation.
> >
> > I'm still getting bitchy e-mails from AIX, HP-UX, and Tru64.  We
> > aren't doing the make in the lib directory there.
> I'm just going to nuke the dep.

not good enough, unfortunately (at least on Tru64)

look at this simple Makefile:

[trawick@hudson testmake]$ cat Makefile
all: mydir

mydir:
        cd mydir; make
[trawick@hudson testmake]$

If the directory mydir actually exists, it won't do a damn thing.  If
the directory mydir does not exist, it will try to run "cd mydir;
make".

The same thing is happening with

SUBDIRS = lib

all: $(SUBDIRS)

$(SUBDIRS) :
        cd $@; make

It thinks lib is up-to-date and won't rebuild it, even after removing
config.status from the dependency.

I think that either some sort of timestamp file or an explicit
dependency on the file we need in libs is needed.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...