apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: APR as a shared library?
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2001 08:49:08 GMT
ah!  greg, hi!  libmm - fascinating.

just the sort of thing that elrond, sander and i wanted to wrap with sms
(smart/stackable memory system).  thanks.

would you be happy with a memory-management API that DSOs memory
modules?  and is stackable?

so, if you run into portability issues one particular OS that _really_
can't do libmm, you can decide at runtime to use another approach?

apr_sms_memsys_t *m;
apr_status_t s = apr_sms_create("sms-libmm", &m);

if (s != OK)
	/* whoops, no sms libmm available */
	s = apr_sms_create(NULL, &m); /* get a standard malloc/free-er

issue on APR - is it namespace clean, yet? does _everything_ start with
apr_xxx..?

allbest,

luke

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Greg Stein wrote:

> For Subversion, we want this, too. We've actually run into problems lately
> because APR doesn't respond to "make install" and install its libraries.
> Moreover, it doesn't install its embedded libmm library, either.
>
> One of the topics at the Hackathon is shared memory. I'd be happy to toss
> libmm so that APR's install is a bit cleaner.
>
> [ but it brings up the question of what kind of portability libmm brings to
>   the table; I recognize we don't use much of the functionality on top of
>   that, but the underlying portability work means we don't have to dup it
>   into APR. ]

 ----- Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@samba-tng.org> -----

"i want a world of dreams, run by near-sighted visionaries"
"good.  that's them sorted out.  now, on _this_ world..."

"the open source ethic: tell everyone what you think,
and someone is bound to tell you what you _need_ to hear..."