apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: httpd-2.0/apr/apr-util Code Freeze
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2001 17:04:14 GMT
william,

the apache project is, i assume, suffering from the effects of many
developers using cvs at the same time?

if so, can i recommend reading the description of how to ease the pain of
#3 below, described in http://advogato.org/article/247.html

it outlines how to use cvs to do one or more simultaneous cvs branches on
sub-sections of a codebase.  i.e. how to use a cvs tag for a small
sub-section of the codebase and to use _another_ cvs tag for the rest.

simple example: one developer wishes to try out a new memory manager
replacement for apr_pool.c, where this may have a massive impact if
carried out in cvs main, plus if they tag the entire cvs repository to do
it, _they_ get out-of-date.

so they tag _only_ the files that are modified by their experiment, and
pull in all the rest from cvs main.

the same procedure can be applied simultaneously by many developers, each
doing their Own Thing.

and the idea is that you can _always_ do a tarball / release at any time,
because the developers are expected to do a cvs update -j
'mydevelopmenttag' / code-merge once they have proved that their work is
stable, and not before - without a really good reason.

am also giving serious consideration to writing a script to be run on cvs
commits that uses keynote - requiring that cvs commits be digitally
"signed off" by at least two developers / reviewers.

but that's another story :)

luke

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>   It's been too long, time for a good tarball!  I increasingly believe that a pure
> implementation of Roy's model can't work.  Either 1) code freezes, 2) dev/release branches,
> or 3) parallel trees [I hate #3] seem required to allow development to progress while
folks
> shoot down bugs.
>
> Bill

 ----- Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@samba-tng.org> -----

"i want a world of dreams, run by near-sighted visionaries"
"good.  that's them sorted out.  now, on _this_ world..."