apr-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject pool stacking (was Re: [RFC] Network Abstraction Layer)
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2001 10:03:59 GMT
On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Greg Stein wrote:

> Getting long here. Watch out! :-)

split in two :)

> Even the connection pool is a child of another. The pools can be described
> as a tree of pools, with a single global pool created at startup.

greg,

in xmlvl, i investigated splitting out the pool code into stackable pools.
sander and i came up with sma_mem_sys as a result.

imagine that you want to do secure memory stacking, using the gpg
memory-locking method, but you don't want to have to rewrite entire
sections of apr and apache to do it.

passing in a sma_mem_sys (which is an array of parent-pool functions)
which does gpg-style memory-page-locking into apr_pool_creeate(), you can
do this.

the "default" parent-pool sma_mem_sys of course should be one that wraps
malloc and free.

you can then define sub-pools to use an apache-pool sma_mem_sys, and in
fact, the only difference then between a sub-pool and the global pool is
that the sub-pool uses an apr-sma_mem_sys instance whilst the global pool
uses a malloc/free-sma_mem_sys.

i'm going over to sander's at the w/e, we'll see if we can thrash it out.

luke

 ----- Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@samba-tng.org> -----

"i want a world of dreams, run by near-sighted visionaries"
"good.  that's them sorted out.  now, on _this_ world..."