apr-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: FreeBSD and gnu m4
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2001 02:39:22 GMT
On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but all these changes and problems are
> simply to reduce the three parameters of a standard autoconf macro
> to one parameter in an APR-specific macro?

That's one way to look at it, yeah, but that doesn't capture all of the
benefits.  Those three parameters have given us *numerous* subtle bugs due
to typos and the like that go undetected on the committer's platform but
cause complete build breakage on other platforms.  Reducing to one
parameter saves the work that causes these bugs.

--Cliff