apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Collins-Sussman <suss...@newton.ch.collab.net>
Subject disk i/o problems
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:22:25 GMT

Hi all -- I'm getting some weird disk slowdowns on FreeBSD 4.2.

Subversion checkouts from a local repository are normally
near-instantaneous on normal Linux machines.  But on *all three* of my
FreeBSD 4.2 boxes, each checked-out takes about 1 second (or more).
This didn't used to be the case.

I hypothesize that there is something seriously wrong with APR's disk
I/O on this specific version of FreeBSD.  My evidence: it happens on
three different machines, and it *didn't* used to happen when one of
the boxes was running FreeBSD 4.0 or 4.1.  There was a direct
correlation between installing 4.2 and experiencing the disk I/O
slowdown.

I think we need to investigate APR and see where the "portability" has
gone astray... what system interfaces changed in FreeBSD 4.2 that so
dislike APR's file routines?  Anyone have ideas?

-Ben