apr-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Collins-Sussman <suss...@newton.ch.collab.net>
Subject disk i/o problems
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:22:25 GMT

Hi all -- I'm getting some weird disk slowdowns on FreeBSD 4.2.

Subversion checkouts from a local repository are normally
near-instantaneous on normal Linux machines.  But on *all three* of my
FreeBSD 4.2 boxes, each checked-out takes about 1 second (or more).
This didn't used to be the case.

I hypothesize that there is something seriously wrong with APR's disk
I/O on this specific version of FreeBSD.  My evidence: it happens on
three different machines, and it *didn't* used to happen when one of
the boxes was running FreeBSD 4.0 or 4.1.  There was a direct
correlation between installing 4.2 and experiencing the disk I/O

I think we need to investigate APR and see where the "portability" has
gone astray... what system interfaces changed in FreeBSD 4.2 that so
dislike APR's file routines?  Anyone have ideas?

View raw message