apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr/build aplibtool.c
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:22:46 GMT
On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 09:44:59PM -0500, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Brian Havard wrote:
> > Yeah, that's more how I see it. It's only really intended for OS/2 & maybe
> > a few other platforms that aren't supported by libtool. I wasn't trying to
> > start a revolution....
>
> I think it's significant that there are (so far) 2 work-arounds
> in place for libtool,

2 out of how many successful ones? How many edge cases is libtool handling
for us, which we would otherwise need to deal with ourselves?

> and that libtool has somewhat consistantly
> been the only real thorn in our build environment. :)

Is was initially. Things seem pretty fine now.

> I like how both basically are there to reduce libtool down to
> the bare requirements we need it for: (1) determine how to
> created loadable modules and (2) create archives.

If we have a replacement tool that can do that across as many platforms as
libtool, then it may have a shot at being used. But until then, it would be
quite a regression in functionality to drop libtool.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/