apr-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Problem with apr-util/xml/expat
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2001 14:02:47 GMT
On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 08:35:19AM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org> writes:
>
> > Fixed.
>
> What got fixed (Thanks!) is that once we decide to make in the lib
> directory we don't blow up with the non-portable dependency
> generation.
>
> I'm still getting bitchy e-mails from AIX, HP-UX, and Tru64.  We
> aren't doing the make in the lib directory there.

Ah. Yah... there are some funky dependencies going on in there. Initially,
when the "new" Expat was set up and autoconf'd and libtool'd, it was also
automake'd. They backed off from that, but kept the big-ass Makefile at the
top level. Automake has some really whacky dependencies to try and be
"nifty" about creating the configure script, re-running configure when it
changes, etc.

The dependency upon config.status was *intended* to say "make sure that
exists before building the lib directory", but the result is "lib only
builds if config.status is newer". Bogosity. Automake actually uses some
timestamp files to do The Right Thing.

I'm just going to nuke the dep.

Cheers,
-g