apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: httpd-2.0/apr/apr-util Code Freeze
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2001 00:08:40 GMT
> I agree, the no-freeze model just doesn't work in this environment.

The no-freeze model hasn't even been tested in this environment.

It is necessary for the code to be in a stable state in order to do
a release at any time, regardless of a freeze.  At no time in the past
six months has the code been in a stable state, regardless of how many
times you have called for and implemented a freeze.  The code isn't
going to get any better if you prevent people from fixing the problems.

What has happened over the past month is is that some of the things that
need doing which require more than a few hours effort to get right are
actually being done, because we don't have to worry about someone else's
arbitrary notion of a release date.  I have no intention of stopping that
now just because some people get their panties in a bind.  If you want to
create a release based on an ongoing frantic development tree, all you
have to do is selectively tag the repository to include only those
revisions that you consider to be stable.  There is no rule that requires
the entire HEAD to be tagged at once, and there is nothing wrong with
moving tags from one revision to another within CVS *provided* that
such moves are made before a tarball based on that tag is released.

....Roy