apr-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: FreeBSD and gnu m4
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:14:26 GMT
On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 09:39:22PM -0500, Cliff Woolley wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
> > Correct me if I am wrong, but all these changes and problems are
> > simply to reduce the three parameters of a standard autoconf macro
> > to one parameter in an APR-specific macro?
>
> That's one way to look at it, yeah, but that doesn't capture all of the
> benefits.  Those three parameters have given us *numerous* subtle bugs due
> to typos and the like that go undetected on the committer's platform but
> cause complete build breakage on other platforms.  Reducing to one
> parameter saves the work that causes these bugs.

Then we should fix the cause of that goofyness, which is due to all
APR defines being set to "0" or "1" instead of undefined/defined.
Fixing that would remove the cause of all those other subtle typos and
bugs, in addition to these above, and leave us with a standard autoconf
function with one parameter.

....Roy