apr-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apr CHANGES apr_common.m4
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2001 15:31:30 GMT
fielding@apache.org writes:

> fielding    01/02/08 16:56:05
>
>   Modified:    .        CHANGES apr_common.m4
>   Log:
>   Add APR_TRY_GCC_WARNING macro to dynamically test the iconv prototype
>   if gcc is being used.

This turned out a little different than I imagined :)

A key characteristic we need is to make sure that our assumption about
const-ness compiles at all on the platform, whether or not gcc is
being used.  It is my understanding that certain platforms besides
glibc-2.2+gcc-recent will fail the compile if the const-ness is
wrong.  IRIX was an example given on the mailing list.

An additional characteristic which is extremely nice is to add -Werror
to the CFLAGS if the compiler is gcc.  That verifies an additional
level of correctness without needing the apr_iconv_inbuf_const hint.