apr-dev mailing list archives

From Mo DeJong <mdej...@cygnus.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: apr/build config.guess config.sub
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:40:50 GMT
On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Sander Striker wrote:

> > > Um... how does this not infect the APR tree with the GPL?  My
> > > understanding is that we can redistribute the *output* of GNU
> > development
> > > tools like this, but not the actual tools themselves.
> >
> > If we can't distribute this file, then we can't use autoconf/libtool.
> > Like the file says, we need these files, because we are more portable than
> > the GNU tools we rely on.

You can change and redistribute the autotools as much as
you like, quoting from the GPL:

"You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion
of it, thus forming a work based on the Program, and copy and
distribute such modifications or work under the terms of Section 1."

It goes on to clarify this issue:

"In addition, mere aggregation of another work not based on the Program
with the Program (or with a work based on the Program) on a volume of
a storage or distribution medium does not bring the other work under
the scope of this License."

> Simple workaround: contact the autoconf/libtool developers and ask
> them to incorporate the changes. Explain to them that you will need to
> drop autoconf otherwise and why.

Why don't you just submit your patches like everyone else?
Ultimatums along the lines of "accept this patch
or we will stop using your package" are going to
get you nowhere.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc