apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Mixing Apache and Mozilla
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:21:11 GMT

> What are the advantages to maintaining two libraries doing the same thing
> with slightly different APIs? Portable run-times are a lot of work, NSPR is
> 68KB times the number of platforms it works on. Supporting a portable
> run-times is a permanent time sink, every time a new OS version is released
> the PR has to be tweaked. I'm sure a new round of tweaking will be needed
> for Windows XP.
> Are there technical objections to NSPR from the Apache side?

There are a couple of technical objections to moving to NSPR right now.
#1, we don't want to change Apache right now.  We are getting close to a
release, and a major change like a new portable run-time is a lot of work.

#2, this is more than just Apache now.  APR already has other users, just
dropping APR on the floor is no longer an option for us.  This MUST be a
mutual shift towards each other.  Dropping either project on the floor
just isn't going to happen.  If NSPR doesn't want to move their APIs
towards APR, then we aren't going to be able to do this.  That also
implies that APR would be moving their APIs towards NSPRs of course.

#3, there are features, like pools that NSPR just doesn't support.  That
would need to be there before we could even think of merging the two APIs.
APR relies on pools for just about everything, because it gives us a lot
of nice features.

> If Apache will come on to the NSPR bandwagon my next target will be
> Xerces/Xalan. They're building yet another portable run-time.

Apache is not going to just move to NSPR.  We are well beyond that point.
We were willing to use NSPR two years ago, but hit a brick wall with
regard to licenses.  We set a date that we needed a license we could live
with, and Mozilla didn't give us one, so we started a new project.  It is
unfortunate that after we started APR, a new license was created that we
could live with.  By the time we had the new license, Apache had already
begun to port to APR however, and changing to NSPR was unlikely.

The APR developers have already stated that we are willing to look at
merging the two codebases.  If the NSPR developers will say the same, then
we can move forward.  If you are asking us to just drop APR, we should
stop discussing this, because I don't believe that is going to happen.

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

View raw message