apr-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Mixing Apache and Mozilla
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:08:09 GMT
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Wan-Teh Chang wrote:

> rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >
> > Jon, please understand that this isn't religion over license issues.
> > Unfortunately, licenses are a matter of law, not opinion.  There are
> > people in this group who work for businesses that rely on the Apache
> > license.  When I worked for IBM (a little over a year ago, so things may
> > have changed), IBM had a problem with some of the NPL or MPL (I can't
> > remember which).  There are IBMers here who are very big contributors.
> > Moving to NSPR might mean that those contributors could no longer
> > contribute back.  That is a bad thing IMHO.
>
> That issue must have been resolved because the Mozilla client,
> NSPR, and NSS have all received contributions from IBMers, mostly
> OS/2 porting patches.
>
> For example, see the IBM copyright notice in this NSPR source file:
> http://lxr.mozilla.org/nspr/source/nsprpub/pr/src/md/os2/os2io.c.

That solves IBM, which is the example I gave, but it doesn't cover
everybody.  I am really not trying to be difficult, but we do need to be
sure that everybody involved in APR doesn't have a problem with the NPL or
MPL.  I know I will need to check with my boss over this, and we need to
check with the ASF, to ensure that we can actually distribute MPL or NPL
licenses code with Apache.

As I said last night, before we spend time on the licenses, can we
actually investigate what exactly we are trying to accomplish together?
How do we want to merge these two codebases?  I don't believe anybody is
interested in dropping either codebase, so it will need to be a merger.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131